The Children’s Book Fair and Fall Garden Fair are back in full force this weekend | Evening Summary

The 35th annual Children’s Book Fair and the 61st Fall Garden Fair return in full for the first time this weekend, after two years of mini- or lapsed festivities due to the pandemic.

The weekend kicks off with the Fall Garden Fair, a counterpart to the Spring Fair and Chicago’s oldest community garden sale. It will be held on Saturday 17th September at Hyde Park Shopping Center, 55th Street and Lake Park Ave. From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

After wow Spring Garden ExhibitionThe fall sale will be slightly smaller, selling mainly bulbs and chrysanthemums, including some specialty bulbs (such as alliums and iris), daffodils, tulips, crocuses and lilies.

Joy Rosner, chair selling lamps for 35 years, orders lamps from Netherland Bulb, which sells Dutch lamps from Holland – an old lamp destination and site of “Tulip Mania”, 17th century mad speculation On lavender bulbs imported from the Ottoman Empire.

This year’s ranking was late, due to summer heat waves in europeRosner said. However, about 9,000 bulbs will be sold on Saturday, and they will only be short of white paper, a type of daffodil viable for effect (planted indoors, not outdoors).

There will also be some houseplants and perennials, such as ornamentals such as cabbage, cabbage, and peppers. Everything can be sown this fall.

“A good gardener wants to have plants flowering from March through November,” said organizer George Rumsey. Most years, he added, things bloom in February, like snowdrops, which – true to their name – show through the snow. Tulips are instant blooms, while the bulbs remain in the ground until blooming in late winter to early summer.

The bulbs are cold-dependent, Rumsey said, and should be placed in the refrigerator or planted about six inches deep in the soil.

Rumsey and Rosner emphasized that the all-volunteer-run day will have plenty of people to answer any questions about fall planting.

“They should definitely talk to any of us that sell because we all grow these bulbs in our own yards. You know, we have the Hyde Park experience, so we know what works, what’s back and what squirrels dig in,” Rumsey said.

Profits from the fair are split among the various nonprofits in the area, with about 60% going toward maintenance of parks in Nichols Park, to home growing, an Englewood-based urban farm, workforce development center and non-profit social enterprise, and other on-demand community groups; The other 40% goes to Hyde Park – Kenwood Community Conference.

“(The bulbs) are really cool. It’s a bright color for winter and early spring, when everything is kind of gray,” Rosner said.

Children’s Book Fair

The Children’s Book Fair will be held on Sunday, September 18th at the corner of 57th Street and Kimpark Street from 11am-4pm.

was the exhibition held last year at Ray Primary School, 5631 S. Kimbark Ave. , but on a much smaller scale than in previous years.

This year’s fair will remain smaller than the pre-pandemic fair, but will feature crowd favorites – Marsha Music, Hyde Park music teachers, Southside Suzuki, Hyde Park School of Dance, and many more storytellers. Senator Robert Peters (D-13) will also be reading his favorite book, Where the Wild Things Are.

As at previous book fairs, children can select books, visit 20 community organizations and vendors, meet local authors, listen to readings at the Fairy Castle and Great Green Room (from the “Goodnight Moon” theater), as well as watch music and dance performances. They will also have a drawing artist and balloon animals.

The show will be led by Mother Goose and the Kenwood Academy Band at 11:30 am. Cloud said anyone is welcome to come dressed and walk with them.

“We are just going to have the real and the right experience this year,” first-time organizer Patricia Cloud said.

Claude organizes the fair with her adult daughter, Anna Sawyer, who attended the book fair annually as a child. “You can see it from our front window,” Cloud said.

The theme of this fair is Banned Books, to mark the start of Banned Books Week on Sunday, they will have an exhibition of articles submitted on Banned Books, as well as prizes for the best.

Founded by Rebecca Janowitz in 1986, as a way to save the Ogara and Wilson Library (which was located at 1448 57th Street) from a rent dispute, the gallery was held in Nichols Park for several years, before returning to 57th Street. (It was originally called the 57th Children’s Book Fair) .

All events will take place at 57th Street between Woodlawn and Dorchester Streets, and at Kimpark Street between 57th and 56th Streets.

“I think a lot of people who have missed an exhibition over the past few years will enjoy seeing their old favorites,” Cloud said.

.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: